Congratulations on your new aluminium security shutters. If you want to keep your investment performing and looking like it did on day one, you will need a regular cleaning and maintenance schedule. Cleaning shutters is easy and requires minimal equipment, while maintenance needs only be done twice a year. Continue reading to learn how to care for and maintain your aluminium security shutters easily.
Before you start to clean your aluminium security shutters, you will need the following equipment:
- 2 x white cotton soft cloths
- Broom with soft bristles or a vacuum cleaner (for bottom tracks only)
- Non-acetic multipurpose silicon spray (for semi-annual lubrication)
Weekly Cleaning Method
Cleaning your security shutters every week will not only keep them looking like new but also make cleaning easy. Follow these steps to clean your shutters:
- Remove the dirt and dust on the bottom track with a broom or vacuum cleaner. (No lubrication is needed)
- Use a solution of warm water and a non-abrasive, pH neutral detergent to clean the shutters, louvre blades, frames and tracks with a soft cloth or sponge.
- Rinse the surfaces with warm water to remove residual detergent.
- Dry the shutters using a soft cloth.
Every six months, your shutters will need lubrication to ensure that they operate smoothly and efficiently. Use a non-acetic multipurpose silicon spray to lubricate all the wheels inside the top track. It is important to follow the directions and instructions of your shutters and pay attention to any cautions indicated.
Do’s and Don’ts
- DO use soft cloths for cleaning.
- DO use non-abrasive detergents.
- DO NOT use anything harsher than a soft, natural bristle brush.
- DO NOT lubricate hinges, the bottom track or the lock cylinder.
- DO NOT use harsh solvents such as thinners, benzene, or turpentine.
Since 1997, K Parker Joinery has specialized in producing quality, custom doors, windows and mouldings and affordable prices. Contact us for an obligation free quote on any of our wood, aluminium, uPVC, durable frameless windows, and blockhouse security shutter products.